Study Abroad Peer Advisors (PAs) are a group of students who have participated in a study abroad program and are excited to share their experiences. They serve as a resource to interested students by sharing their personal insight, first-hand experiences, and knowledge on the study abroad opportunities offered at Southern Miss.
Since all Peer Advisors have participated in at least one study abroad program, they are able to guide first-time study abroad students through the application process and provide helpful tips and recommendations. Peer Advisors offer unique student perspectives that can help interested students find the best program for them and capitalize upon their time abroad. Want to know what it was like to live and study in a foreign country? Ask a PA. Want tips on what to pack for your time abroad? Ask a PA. Want to know what it’s like to go on an international flight? Ask a PA. Set up a virtual meeting with a Peer Advisor below. (Coming soon).
Each semester, the Office of Study Abroad (OSA) selects 10-12 students to serve on the team for a semester or an academic year. Once students have returned from their study abroad programs, there will be an option to apply to the team on the study abroad portal. If a student would like to apply outside of the typical recruitment cycle, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Advise students on the basics of study abroad including available programs (semester, year, and summer), application deadlines and procedures, etc.
- Assist in arrivals and orientation for incoming exchange students per semester
- Mentor incoming and outgoing exchange students
- Attend initial training sessions and regular meetings throughout each semester
- Attend, and in many cases assist, in welcome/farewell events/barbecues/lunches for our visiting international exchange students
- Assist the OSA with International and Diversity Education Week (IDEW), recruitment events, email campaigns, study abroad fairs, specific projects (as assigned), class visits, and pre-departure orientation sessions
- Contribute ideas, feedback, and suggestions from the student perspective
- Share your study abroad experience with others
- Other duties as assigned or as suggested by you!
- Networking opportunities to potentially be hired in the field of International Education
- Recommendations for future employment
- Free meals at official Peer Advisor meetings
- A $250* discount towards any future Southern Miss study abroad program
- Friends and fun times