Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

General | Financial 


What is "study abroad?"
Study Abroad is the opportunity to earn Southern Miss credit that will apply to your degree plan, in countries outside the United States.

What types of Study Abroad programs does USM offer?

  • Short-term faculty-led programs: 2-5 weeks
  • Semester programs: fall or spring
  • Exchange programs: semester or year
  • Internship programs: duration varies

Do I have to speak a foreign language?
  While a few programs require some level of another language, most programs are taught in English. 
Do I need a passport?
Yes! Your passport must be valid for SIX months after your return date. If you already have a passport, check the expiration date to make sure it is VALID.

How do I apply for a passport?
Visit the State Department's website for detailed information on how, where and when to apply for a passport. 

How long does it take to get a passport?
That depends on the time of year submitted. During peak travel periods, the normal processing time ranges from six to eight weeks. If you need a passport more quickly, you can expedite processing for an additional fee, or you can apply in-person at a passport agency and receive same-day service.  Same-day service is not guaranteed.

Can freshmen study abroad?
Yes! The first opportunity is the Château Program: Semester in France or our summer programs, as long as the student meets the eligibility requirements.

Can non-USM students go on a Southern Miss program?
Yes! Most of our programs allow non-USM students to attend for transfer credit. However,  additional documentation is required before acceptance into the program. If you wish to apply financial aid to a USM program, it must come from your home institution. 

  1. An official transcript must be sent to the Southern Miss Office of Study Abroad. This can be submitted electronically to or a physical copy can be mailed.
  2. Home institution’s Office of Study Abroad and/or Dean of Students must complete the home_institution_clearance_form.pdf.
  3. Students must submit immunization records to the Southern Miss Office of Study Abroad. This can be emailed or mailed to the addresses listed above in step two. See immunization requirements here.
  4. The Payment Guarantee Form must be completed with current credit card information.

Can graduate students study abroad?
Yes! Many USM programs offer graduate level classes.  


How much does studying abroad cost?
Program fees vary by program, and you can find most of that information when you search our programs online. Program information is posted as it becomes available.

On top of your program fees, you will need to prepare to take additional funds with you to pay for things like meals, sight-seeing, independent travel, etc. Speaking with former students is one of the best ways to get an idea of what you should budget. Estimated additional expenses are listed on each program budget.

What do my billable fees include? 
Billable fees include tuition, study abroad insurance, accommodation, in-country transportation, and program excursions.  Check the program brochure's Finances & Scholarships tab for a detailed budget sheet.

Can I apply my financial aid to my program?
Yes! Financial Aid is available to qualified students, and more information is available on our Scholarships and Financial Aid page.

Are scholarships available?
Yes! Most OSA scholarships are for USM students. Please visit the Foundation's GO system and complete your application for fall, spring, or summer. Check out our scholarship page for other scholarship opportunities.