Skip to content

Information for Non-USM Students

Non-USM Students FAQ

Can non-USM students go on a Southern Miss program?
Yes! Most of our programs allow non-USM students to attend for transfer credit. However, additional documentation is required before acceptance into the program. If you wish to apply financial aid to a USM program, it must come from your home institution. 
  1. An official transcript must be sent to the Southern Miss Office of Study Abroad. This can be submitted electronically to or a physical copy can be mailed.
  2. The home institution’s Study Abroad office and/or Dean of Students must complete a home institution clearance form (provided on the application).
  3. Students must submit immunization records to the Southern Miss Office of Study Abroad. See immunization requirements here.

How do non-USM students apply for programs?
      1. Students from any university are welcome to study abroad with USM, but they should first talk with their home institution's Office of Study Abroad for steps about program participation.  

       2. On our website,, select the program on which you would
          like to participate, and then select “Apply Now.” You’ll then select the “non-USM
          login” option and follow the directions from there. Watch the video below for example. 

How are non-USM students expected to pay for study abroad programs?
Non-USM students are expected to make a total of three payments prior to departure.
  • Application Fee - This $150 non-refundable* application fee is to be paid on the study abroad portal upon completion of the program application and must be paid in order to submit your application.  Payment can be made via credit or debit card.  *See here for refund policy.
  • Payment 1 - A $1,000 down payment made within the students' USM Study Abroad portal by April 1st. 
  • Final Payment: The remaining balance of fees will be paid on SOAR (USM’s web portal) May 10 (summer), August 10 (fall), January 10 (spring). Instructions on how to access SOAR will be available on your study abroad portal. 

Non-USM Financial Aid
Financial aid should be applied for through your home institution. Financial aid agreements between USM and other universities are available upon request.  If more information is needed, contact the USM Office of Study Abroad at 601.266.4344 or